The Roanoke Visitor Center
The hundred year old Roanoke Station depot building returned home on the morning of December 18, 2000. The trailer hauling the structure crossed the Roanoke Creek bridge into the hamlet of Randolph shortly after 10 AM. It completed the two mile journey down Route 607, seemingly no worse for the ride. Mr. and Mrs. Jeffrey St. John purchased and moved the depot to their home from the hamlet of Randolph some years ago to save it from destruction.
As the building arrived in Randolph, site preparation work continued with stone being spread around the newly erected foundation piers. Additional structural work was necessary as the depot prepared for its new role within the State Park.
The Roanoke Station depot opened on May 31,2002, and is now the Roanoke Visitor Center. It houses an archaeological exibit of Native American artifactes excavated from the park by the Longwood University Archaeological Field School.
There is also an exhibit of rare Southern Railway memorabilia from the Crescent Passenger line that served the Roanoke Depot in the early 1920-1930s. Some of the items included on display are dining car items and place settings, books, lanterns, and miscellaneous railroad merchandise.
These items are on loan to the Foundation by David W. Newcombe.